J.D., Emory University School of Law
B.A., University of Rochester
- Enterprise risk management
- Property/casualty and professional liability insurance
- Insurance regulation and agency/broker matters
- Contract law and legal studies
- Personal financial planning
Harold A. Weston, clinical associate professor of risk management and insurance at Robinson College of Business and the College of Law, is a member of the California and Georgia Bar Associations, and holds the CPCU, RPLU, and ARM designations. He was a licensed insurance producer (California) and licensed insurance counselor (Georgia).
Prior to joining the faculty, Weston was engaged in private and corporate legal practice, and as a consultant on insurance and risk management. He has advised and litigated almost all aspects of insurance coverage and “bad faith” cases, through appeals. He has also litigated insurance defense, agent-broker professional liability, and other commercial cases. His corporate insurance experience was as senior counsel at a major property/casualty insurer in the coverage counsel office, and then in the general counsel office handling regulatory compliance, agency-broker matters, policy forms drafting and manuscript endorsements, professional liability, insurance marketing, financial institutions privacy, and general business matters.
Weston has been active with the CPCU Society chapters for many years. In Atlanta he is on the board and was the 2014 president of the chapter. Previously in the CPCU Society-Golden Gate Chapter (San Francisco) he was co-head of seminar planning for the chapter’s All Industry Day for several years, and as vice president for educational events where he developed joint programs with the Professional Liability Underwriting Society.
Other professional memberships and involvement include Professional Liability Underwriting Society and Risk and Insurance Management Society as well as serving as a fellow with Claims and Litigation Management Alliance.
- Sherman, M. and Weston, H. (2019). “Fizz Fight: A Study in How Soda Taxes Affect Coca-Cola’s Business Strategy and Tactics,” Journal of Legal Studies in Business, vol. 22: 31-94.
- Klein, R. and Weston, H. (2019). “No Debt and Underwater: The Rising Need for Flood Insurance Especially As Home Equity Rises,” Journal of Financial Service Professionals (forthcoming).
- Weston, H. (2019). “Transactional Risk and Contractual Risk Accommodation In Contract Drafting: More Than An Indemnity Paragraph,” Transactions, Tennessee Journal of Business Law, vol. 20: 673-692.
- Weston, H. and McLaughlin, J. (2018). “Sounds of Coverage: Noise as a Covered Loss,” New Appleman on Insurance: Current Critical Issues in Insurance Law (Fall).
- Weston, H., Conklin, T., Drobnis, K. (2018). “Assessing and Re-Setting Culture for Enterprise Risk Management.” Assurances et Gestion des Risques/ Insurance and Risk Management, vol. 85(1-2): 131-172.
- Weston, H. and Ciccotello, C. (2018). “Flash Traders (Milliseconds) to Indexed Institutions (Centuries): The Challenges of an Agency Theory Approach to Governance in the Era of Diverse Investor Time Horizons,” Seattle University Law Review, vol. 41: 615-658.
- Weston, H. and Rosner, P. (2018). “Ethics, Communications and Control in the Insurance Tripartite Relationship,” CPCU Insights, (Spring).
- Weston, H. and Schwarzbach, C. (2016). “Limitations of German Insurance Disclosures to Improve Consumer Understanding, With Lessons for U.S. Insurance Practices,” Journal of Insurance Regulation, vol. 35 (8): 1-28
- Weston, H. (2016). “Data Analytics As Predictor Of Character Or Virtues, And The Risks To Autonomy,” International Review of Information Ethics, 24: 32-43.
- Weston, H. and Willey, S. (2016). “Case Study: Life Insurers’ Decision To Use Retained Asset Accounts For Life Insurance Payouts,” Risk Management and Insurance Review, 19 (1): 127-145.
- Weston, “Asset Management for Downside Risks, for High-Income Clients and Small-Business Owners,” Journal of Financial Services Professionals, 69(4): 53-61 (2015).
- Weston and G. Harrison, “Climate Change and Risk: A Multidisciplinary Risk Course,” Journal of Risk Education, vol. 5 (1), 9-20 (2014).
- Margaret Sherman, Harold Weston, Susan Willey and Nancy Mansfield, “Risky Business: Managing Risk in a Complex and Connected World,” Revue Management and Avenir, vol. 74: 159-173 (2014).
- Susan Willey and Harold Weston, “Introducing Risk Management Concepts To Business Law Students: It’s More Than Contracts,” Atlantic Law Journal, vol. 16: 20-54 (2014), http://www.atlanticlawjournal.org/volume-16.html.
- Weston, “A la Carte Coverage. Unbundling Causes of Losses and Coverage Grants to Allow Consumer-Insured Selection.” Rutgers Journal of Law and Public Policy, vol. 11 (1): 39-88 (Fall 2013) http://www.rutgerspolicyjournal.org/volume-11-issue-1-fragmented-risk-symposium.
- Weston, “From Fire Insurance to Home Owner’s and Commercial Property Insurance,” Property Casualty Insider (June 2013).
- Weston, “Case Study: Phone Hacking And Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation,” Ivey Business School Publishing (2013).
- Weston, “The Imperfect Match Between Long-Term Care Risk and Long-Term Care Insurance” Journal of Financial Service Professionals, vol. 66 (4): 37-43 (July 2012).
- Weston, “Contract Perfection and the Despair of Getting the Consumer to Read the Insurance Contract,” PLUS Journal (May 2012).
- Weston, “The Risk of Too Much Governance: Tax Form 990 And The Real And Imagined Requirements of Sarbanes-Oxley.” Corporate Governance Advisor, vol. 21 (1): 21-28 (Jan-Feb. 2012).
Books and Encyclopedia Entries
- Pierce, Weston, Levy, McMahan, Insurance Practices and Coverage in Liability Defense, Second Edition (Wolters Kluwer, 2013 – 2015).
- Pierce, Weston, Levy & Valentine, Defending The Insured (Aspen Publishers, 2005 – 2012).
Weston, Annotation, “The Insured’s Duty to Read the Insurance Policy As Affirmative Defense in Claims Against Insurance Agents and Brokers,” 8 ALR 6th 549 (2005).
- Weston, Annotation, “Educator’s Liability Insurance,” 94 A.L.R. 5th 567 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Lawyers’ Professional Liability Insurance,” 92 A.L.R. 5th 273 (2001).
- Weston, Annotation, “Effect of Motor Carrier Act Provisions on Insurance and Indemnity Agreements (49 U.S.C.A. 13906, 14102) in Allocating Losses,” 157 A.L.R. Fed. 549 (1999).