Consumer Products and the Environment
UPDATE on Jan. 28, 2019: The presenters from the U.S. EPA (Kristin Fitzgerald and Laura Stanley) have confirmed their attendance.
Wednesday, February 6, 2019 from 8 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Knowles Conference Center • Georgia State University College of Law • 85 Park Place, Atlanta, GARegister to Attend
ABOUT THE CONFERENCE
On December 12, 2018, the U.S. EPA finalized the rule, Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals which will apply to all healthcare facilities and reverse distributors. The final rule should be published in the Federal Register soon.
This one-day symposium will discuss the rule and implications for stakeholders. The symposium will also focus on other issues, such as EPA’s Retail Strategy and management of personal care products and other chemical products.
- The prevalence of pharmaceutical, personal care and other consumer product waste in the environment, including modes of entry, impacts to water quality and the effects on human and aquatic life.
- Updates from EPA on retail waste issues and a discussion of the final Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals rule.
- A discussion among the regulated community about implementation of applicable EPA regulations.
The registration fee is $150. An optional 4 hours of Georgia continuing legal education credits will be available for an additional $20. If you are interested in receiving CLE for a state other than Georgia, please contact Karen Johnston at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-413-9175. Space is limited and early registration is encouraged.
UPDATE: Based on participant demand, we have now applied for CLE in PA, NC, and FL.
Schedule for February 6, 2019
- 8-8:45 a.m. Registration and continental breakfast
- 8:45-9 a.m. Opening remarks
- 9-10 a.m. Technical Panel: Pharmaceutical, Personal Care, and other Consumer Product Wastes in the Environment
- Moderator, John Travis Marshall, Assistant Professor of Law, Georgia State College of Law
- Dr. Ching-Hua Huang, Professor, Georgia Institute of Technology School of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Dr. Terry Snell, Professor and Elizabeth Smithgall Watts Chair in Animal Behavior and Conservation, Georgia Institute of Technology School of Biology
- 10-10:15 a.m. Break
- 10:15-11:15 a.m. EPA Update
- Alan Newman, Engineer, Senior Enforcement Specialist, EPA Region IV
- Nancy McKee Perez, Senior Technical Advisor, EPA Region IV
- 11:15-Noon Lunch
- Noon-2:00 Regulatory Panel: Regulatory Update on Retail Waste Issues, Including Discussion of Final Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals
- Moderator and presenter, Greg Blount, Partner, Troutman Sanders
- Kristin Fitzgerald, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (confirmed 1.28.19)
- Laura Stanley, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Office of Resource Conservation and Recovery (confirmed 1.28.19)
- David Irey, Assistant Chief Deputy District Attorney, Yolo County, California
- 2:00-2:15 p.m. Break
- 2:15-3:30 p.m. Regulated Community Panel: A Discussion about Applying the New Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals Rule and New Retail Waste Guidance
- Moderator, Karlie Webb, Counsel, Troutman Sanders
- Nicole Wilkinson, Director, Corporate Environmental, CVS Health
- Charlotte A. Smith, Senior Regulatory Advisor, PharmEcology Services, WM Sustainability Services
- Wade Scheel, Director of Environmental, Safety & Health, Stericycle
- 3:45-4:45 p.m. Networking and afternoon reception
85 Park Place
Atlanta, GA 30303
Parking is available in the T lot for $10 cash. The T lot entrance is located off of Auburn Avenue near the intersection of Peachtree Center Avenue. It is a very short walk along Park Place to the law school (less than 5 minutes).
QUESTIONS AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION