Applications for externship openings are traditionally accepted in early October for spring semester placements, early February for summer semester placements, and mid-March for fall semester placements. The following is a description of the steps involved in the externship application, interview, and enrollment process. Questions regarding this process or the status of an application should be directed to the Externship Office.
- Students identify agencies of interest, ensuring that all eligibility requirements are met for each individual placement.
- Students submit a completed Externship Application (fall and spring semesters) or Summer Externship Application (summer semester) and resume for each agency of interest, up to a maximum of three (3) agencies. In some instances, a writing sample or additional material may be required by the agency. The application may be typed or hand-written. The resume should NOT be stapled to the application. Cover letters should NOT be included with applications and will not be forwarded to site supervisors.
- Students must read and sign the Externship Contract attached to the appropriate Application. A hard copy of this form must be received by the Externship Office before a student will be allowed to participate in the Externship Program.
- Students must return all completed materials by the application deadline to the Externship Office, Room 326 of the Urban Life Building.
- interview Procedure: Immediately after the application deadline, the Externship Office will forward all applications and resumes to the appropriate externship supervisors. Students will be notified by the Externship Office whether an interview was requested. Students must check their e-mails each day for interview notices. In some instances, the supervisor may contact the student directly. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD A STUDENT CONTACT THE SUPERVISOR UNLESS THE STUDENT IS CALLED DIRECTLY OR ADVISED TO DO SO.
- Interview Period and Location: All interviews will be scheduled for the two-week period immediately following the close of the application period. Interviews will be held either at the law school or at the externship site.
- Students will be notified of externship offers by e-mail on the offer date specified. Students must check e-mail regularly that day.
- Students are given two days in which to accept or decline an offer.
Students accepted into the Externship Program will receive an "Authorization to Register Form" shortly before pre-registration. Students will not be able to enroll in an externship without pre-authorization.
Students will receive additional correspondence pertaining to the Externship Program several weeks prior to the start of the semester.
Students who accept an offer must comply with the terms of the previously executed Externship Contract. This includes reviewing O.C.G.A. §§15-19-50, 15-19-51 and 15-19-56 regarding the unauthorized practice of law.
A student who accepts an offer will not be permitted to drop an externship, either before or during the semester, in the absence of significant hardship. Securing a paid position will almost never be a sufficient reason for withdrawal from the program. Students who drop an externship absent permission will have a letter of reprimand placed in their permanent file and will not be allowed to participate in the Externship Program in the future.