In order to receive three (3) academic credits, students must do the following:
- Work a minimum of ten (10) hours each week over the course of the fall or spring semester or twenty (20) hours each week over the course of the summer semester (140 hours total). Many, if not most, students work more than 140 hours because they find that they need or want to do so in order to make the externship experience a valuable one. Students who are heavily involved in numerous activities should seriously consider whether they can accommodate the time commitment an externship requires.
- Participate in the classroom component of the externship. Students must attend four mandatory classes at the College of Law. The classes are held once a week for the first four weeks of the semester. Classroom component hours do not count towards the weekly hours requirement if the class is taught by GSU faculty at the College of Law. In some instances, additional training seminars and/or classes are offered by the externship site.
- Complete a Goals Form, which must be signed by the supervising attorney at the beginning of the externship.
- Complete a Work Summary Form and Timesheet every two weeks during the fall and spring semesters or every week during the summer semester.
- Complete a mid-semester self-assessment and meet with assigned faculty Co-director.
- Complete a three page end-of-semester paper and meet with assigned faculty Co-director.
- Complete two written evaluations of the externship experience.
Students may participate in a total of two semesters of externship course work. Two externships may not be taken simultaneously. Students receive three (3) credit hours for each externship, not to exceed six (6) credits. Grades for externships are assigned on a satisfactory/unsatisfactory basis.