GIL Express allows students, faculty, and staff of University System of Georgia schools to search a single online catalog that includes the holdings of all 35 USG libraries, and request delivery of regularly circulating books to the library of your choice. GIL Express books can also be returned to any University System library.
GIL Express items at Georgia State University may be picked up at the Law Library Circulation Desk, at University Library’s Library North Circulation Desk, or at the Alpharetta Center Library. Please choose from one of these locations when placing your requests for pickup at Georgia State.
GIL Express items can also be delivered to another University System of Georgia pickup library of your choice. Simply select the library most convenient to you from the drop-down menu when placing your request.
1. While viewing the full record of the item you wish to request in the statewide catalog, click GIL Express Request at the top of the screen.
2. Select your home institution from the drop-down menu, then enter your Library ID (found on the back of your Student ID), your PIN, and your last name in the fields provided. Click "Logon for USG GIL Express."
3. On the next screen, the type of request will default to GIL Express Request. Click OK.
4. On the next screen, you will need to re-enter your Library ID. Then select your pickup library and pickup location from the drop-down menus and click "Submit Request."
(If the item you are requesting is a multi-volume work, you may also need to select the desired volume in the field below the Lending Library's name before submitting your request.)
5. The next screen will tell you whether or not the request was accepted. (It will not be accepted if the item is not eligible for GIL Express, for example.)
6. Monitor your "My Account" information to find out whether the Lending Library was able to fill the request and send it to your pickup location.
If you need assistance, contact (404) 413-9100 or Law Library circulation.
Monitor your online "My Account" information in GIL.
If the Lending Library is able to send the item, your request will go to a status of "In transit" while the item is on its way.
If an item is available for you to pick up, it will show in your "My Account" information as an item available, and you will receive a notice by mail or email.
Please pick up available items before their expiration dates (also shown in your "My Account").
If the Lending Library is unable to send the item, your request will go to a status of "Not filled." If this happens, and more than one library owns the item, try your request again.
If no other libraries in the Universal Catalog own the item, submit an interlibrary loan request. Please provide proper citation information and note that the item was not available via GIL Express.
Some policies are similar and some are not. Some important differences include:
Visit the GIL Express homepage at http://gilexpress.usg.edu/ for more detailed information about GIL Express policies.
Yes. For materials that circulate through GIL Express, GSU COL faculty, staff, and currently enrolled students may request Law Library materials for pickup at other University System Libraries.
However, GIL Express circulation policies will not apply. Law Library policies, such as fines and loan lengths, apply when a GSU COL patron charges a Law Library item, even if the item is picked up elsewhere.
GIL Express cannot be used to request delivery of Law Library items to other GSU locations, such as University Library or the Alpharetta Center. Contact the Alpharetta Center Library at (404) 413-7762 if you have questions about having Law Library materials delivered to Alpharetta.
The Law Library allows most regularly circulating books to be requested and checked out by GIL Express patrons.
Items not eligible for GIL Express include Periodicals, Reference, Audiovisual, Microfilm, Microfiche, Special Rare Books, and Reserves items.