Higher education conflict management is one area of focus for the CNCR, providing research, training and mediation for the University System of Georgia and other organizations worldwide.
Conflict Management in the University System of Georgia
Consistent with the mission of CNCR is studying institutionalization of conflict management in the University System of Georgia. The Board of Regents’ Initiative and Policy Direction on Conflict Resolution, enacted in 1995, required each of the then 34 institutions within the University System of Georgia to design and implement a conflict management program to meet their individual needs.
In collaboration with the chancellor’s office, CNCR
- provides technical expertise and training support for the initiative
- administers the System-Wide Mediation Program; and
- conducts periodic evaluation on the development and implementation of conflict management.
Using the knowledge and experience gained from this program, CNCR advises on the development of conflict management in higher education institutions across the U.S. and worldwide.
Working relationships are productive when differences are acknowledged and problems resolved efficiently through non-coercive means. Shared goals are crucial in today’s changing social, political and economic environment.
CNCR creates constructive solutions and consensus on shared goals through learning opportunities and consultancy that are available to the public and private sector. For more information, contact Carolyn Lambert.
- Our Faculty
Our faculty are experienced consultants, mediators, facilitators and organization specialists who have worked extensively with private and public organizations. They conduct interactive learning sessions that provide hands-on, practical tools and techniques for conflict management and dispute resolution.
- Core Offerings
CNCR’s Summer Institute on Conflict Management in Higher Education is our flagship training offering. The institute includes a 30-hour mediation training course, as well as various one- and two-day specialized and advanced training sessions in the context of a university setting. Our faculty apply their extensive knowledge and their own experience as administrators and faculty to the interactive, participatory workshops.
The 2014 Summer Institute is June 16-20 at Jekyll Island, Georgia. Get details or register online.
Other customized training is offered on a case-by-case basis for institutions in the University System of Georgia. For more information, contact Carolyn Lambert.
- Consensus Building
- Facilitation Skills
- Difficult Conversations
- Collaborative Problem Solving
- Conflict Management System Design
- Conflict Coaching
- Designing Interventions for Large Group Conflict
CNCR offers advice and referrals for institutions in the University System that seek consultation in the following areas:
- conflict assessment and intervention;
- conflict management systems design;
- collaborative problem solving; and
- capacity building for conflict prevention and resolution.
Consultants have collaborated with universities and higher education associations around the globe as well as working with leaders and managers of NGOs and corporations.
- American Association of University Administrators
- Auburn University
- Birmingham City University, UK
- Cambridge University
- Emory University
- Higher Education Funding Council of England – IDR Project
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Oxford University
- University and College Union – Scotland
- University of Hawaii
- University of Maine
- University of Warsaw
- Venda University, South Africa